Coffee and chocolate – The pair that is made in heaven.
This is such an incredibly easy, absolutely delicious cake to make.
I gave this cake to my friend and she couldn’t believe that this is vegan. That’s the best thing about making a vegan cake. They are easy to whip up and once we understand the science of baking, its so much fun to experiment with different recipes.
Do not skip the frosting, it makes the cake taste so divine. Coconut sugar adds such an earthy flavor to this cake. Add apple sauce instead of oil, to make it into a more healthy version. I ate a lot of this cake, but come on, this is made of whole wheat flour, so its healthy right? 🙂 .
VEGAN MOCHA CAKE (CHOCOLATE COFFEE CAKE)
Prep time: 10 mins Cooking time: 30 mins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3.5 TBSP cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or apple sauce
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup coffee (Cooled)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup softened vegan butter
- 4 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 TBSP cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coffee
- Preheat the oven to 350°c.
- Add coffee to coconut sugar and stir till the sugar dissolves. Now add vanilla, lemon juice and coconut oil to the coffee mixture.
- Sift the whole wheat flour with cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Now add the wet mixture to the dry and fold gently. The mixture will be a little runny.
- Pour the batter in the cake pan and bake for 28 – 30 mins or until the cake springs back when touched. Do not over bake.
- Powder the coconut sugar, because the sugar will not dissolve easily while creaming. It combines with the butter easily if it is powdered.
- Cream the vegan butter and coconut sugar for 3 minutes.
- Add the coffee and vanilla.
Wait for the cake to cool down completely before frosting.
I like my cake a little bit on less sweeter side, so i used only 3/4 cup. The frosting made up for it. You can add 1/4 cup sugar, if you want it more sweeter.
Have fun making this delicious cake. Till next time!