Happy Valentines day y’all 🙂
This semolina kesari is the standard dessert my mom made when I was a kid. Be it a guest visit or birthday, kesari was always on the menu. She made the best version of kesari I have ever tasted in my life. This looks like a very simple recipe, but honestly you need some experience to pull it off perfectly. It took me 6 attempts to make it taste just like my mom’s. But let me tell you, this microwave version is the easiest and swift version.
My mom even made this on the day I got engaged. Also that’s the day I first met my husband.yeah, I got engaged before I barely knew my future husband. That’s how majority of weddings happen in India. I was terrified to my very soul that day, yet somehow our relationship worked out really well.
My husband is a big fan of Indian traditional sweets, especially kesari. I was planning on making the queen of sheba cake, which is the most awesome and decadent cake I have ever tasted. But nooo, he wanted kesari..
I made a non vegan version for him with milk and ghee. I lost my patience to make a vegan kesari for myself. Hence born the microwave version! Honestly I didn’t expect any success on this. To my astonishment , the microwave vegan version is nothing less delicious than the original one. The king here is the cocoa butter and cashew powder.
The original recipe uses saffron strands to give that deep red color to kesari. But I have used turmeric to give it that appealing yellow color. Don’t worry, you wont know the presence of turmeric at all!!
Microwave semolina kesari for one
(Vegan & gluten free)
- Semolina – 4 Tbsp
- cane sugar – 6 Tbsp
- Almond milk or coconut milk – 8 Tbsp
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- crushed cashews – 2 Tbsp
- Raisins – 1 Tbsp
- Melted cocoa butter or coconut oil – 1.5 Tbsp
- A pinch of turmeric
- Add milk, turmeric and sugar in a mug and mix till the sugar dissolves
- Add in cardamom powder and semolina to the milk. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes add in the rest of the ingredients : cashews, raisins and finally the cocoa butter or coconut oil. Mix gently.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute 15 seconds. Take out the mug and give the kesari a mix. If the mix feels wet, microwave again for 15 seconds, not more than that.
- Let it cool and enjoy!