We hardly use butter in our house now. I only use it to make ghee (clarified butter) for my little one. Ghee and butter are the essential part of Indian household. In fact when I said I’m going vegan, the first question my mom (and everyone of my friends ) asked “Are you really not going to take ghee ? How can you survive?”. All our cooking is around dairy products one way or the other. This I realized after going vegan. Surprisingly my grandparents never took ghee or butter. Partly because of the depression during the 70’s when rice was a rarity let alone milk! My grandparents lived a diabetes and cholesterol free life till they were 80.
I’m still in the process of “trying to change my hubby into vegan” phase. Since we are vegeterians it wasn’t hard to talk him out of eating eggs. He respects my decision and gets me vegan stuff as much as he can, but thinks twice before touching a vegan cookie or muffin. Sigh! I can’t win all my battles. May be someday.
Coming to the cookies, these can be easily made vegan by using vegan butter. The texture is very crispy and buttery. What makes the cookies so special is the arrow root starch. Apart from having some amazing medicinal properties this super ingredient gives the cookies the melt in mouth effect. After one bite, my kido closed her eyes and said “mmm! YUM-MY” That’s all I wanted to hear !
The best butter cookies
Makes 15 medium sized cookies
- All purpose flour – 3/4 cup
- Arrow root starch /corn starch -1/4 cup
- Butter (at room temperature) – 1/2 cup (1 stick)
- Coconut palm sugar – 1/3 cup
- Cardamom powder – a pinch (optional)
- Vanilla extract – 1/4 tsp
- Almond milk (or any milk) – 2 tbsp
- baking soda – 1/4 tsp
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add vanilla extract,cardamom and mix them well
- In a separate bowl, mix flour , arrowroot/corn starch, baking soda and salt
- Combine the flour mixture with the butter
- Add milk if the mixture seems stiff.
- Refrigerate the dough for 15 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 350°f
- Divide the dough into medium sized balls and make them into discs
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the edges started to get brown.
Till next time ! 🙂