I’m in love with pancakes. Who isn’t? The sizzling sound of pancake batter in the griddle and the aroma it gives while cooking, makes my mornings great somehow. Pancake is my comfort food now on so many levels.
Ever since i went on a gluten free diet, I became so miserable. I had to cross out pancake first from my list. But pancake was a staple breakfast for us apart from our traditional idli/dosa. Chocolate chip pancakes with strawberry syrup is my all time favorite. With my pcos wreaking havoc, its fair that I do some justice to my body and cut out gluten. Yet, I had to find a gluten free pancake recipe to silence my pancake monster. This recipe is pinterest inspired and I had to tweak it to my convenience.
Best of all it’s toddler approved 🙂 I had to find some way to make my tod like oats and yogurt. She runs at the sight of both of these. This recipe has both and yet she loved it.
Here’s the recipe:
Oats Pancake (Sugar Free and Gluten Free):
Prep Time : 10 minutes
Makes 4 Medium pancakes.
oatmeal – 1/2 cup (I used old fashioned oats and made it into a fine powder in a blender.)
yogurt -1/2 cup
Egg – 1
Vanilla extract – 1/2 tsp
cinnamon – 1/4 tsp
honey – 1 tbsp
baking soda – 1/2 tsp
salt – 1/2 tsp
- Combine the dry ingredients – oatmeal, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a separate bowl.
- In another bowl, whip the yogurt until there are no lumps.
- Add vanilla extract, honey and egg and whip them up with a wire whisk/fork until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the yogurt mix. Stir until well combined.
- Heat a dosa tawa/griddle. If you splash a little water on top, it should sizzle. If the tawa is not hot enough, the pancake will turn hard.
- Pour the batter on the heated griddle. Wait till bubbles form on top and flip it over. Once the pancake puffs up and cooked you can eat it right out of the plate 🙂
Note: I even made this recipe with rice flour and it came out perfect. Make sure you use fine rice flour. Coarse flour will take time to cook and it tastes a little bit chalky.
After pouring the pancake in the griddle, wait for the bubbles on top to burst. it will ensure an even color and it will be easy to flip. The yogurt and baking soda in the recipe turns the gluten free mix into a fluffy pancake. Honestly i did not miss the all purpose flour in the pancake at all.
See! It’s as easy as that. Now, go make yourself this guilt free great breakfast or dinner 🙂